The Music Deal (Episode 13)



Read Episode 12 HERE
“He said,” he continued, I was too happy to talk even though I had no detail of the good news. “he would be free to record your songs this Saturday.”
“So how’s it going to go?” I said.
“It depends on you,” he said. “There are cost implications and if you’re able to meet them, you could record your two songs at OJB’s studio on Saturday. Have you informed your parents about the contract?”

“Yes.”
“Okay,” he said. “The production of the songs will cost you sixty thousand naira each which means a total of one hundred and twenty thousand naira for the two songs. You may think that is an hefty sum (hefty is an understatement) but if you do a bit of research about OJB, you will see that he produces a song for hundred thousand naira.”
“He had to give a discount of eighty thousand naira because you’re coming from me and because he liked the songs when he listened to them.”
The Music Deal 13

“What if I’m unable to get the money before Saturday?”
“There’s no problem with that,” Parker said. “But the next time OJB will be free according to what he told me, is a month from now. If you’re unable to get it, I’ll talk to other producers who may produce at lower cost before a month. I just want you to work with the best to get the best out of your song but you know time is also of the essence in this industry.”
Suddenly, I wanted OJB more. I had to work with the best. I could remember that OJB produced 2face’s first album, Face 2 Face, which was a mega hit. That path looked the best to me.
The main problem I had was how to get that amount of money on short notice without involving my parents. I racked my brain to know the amount of money I had with me. I had gone on a saving campaign during the last semester to prepare for the rainy day. I was able to save ten thousand naira in my Guaranty Trust (GT) Bank account and the same amount in my Intercontinental Bank account. That was twenty thousand naira out of a whole one hundred and twenty thousand. It was like making a thirty-centimetre deep drainage for a flood.
“Good afternoon,” I said to the phone.
“Afternoon,” Blessing said, “What’s up?”
“Not too good my dear,” I had to confess.
“Are you okay?”
“No,” far from it.
“What’s the problem?”
“I just spoke with Mr Parker,” I said, “he told me the cost of production would be one-twenty thousand naira.”
“For one song or for both?”
“For both.”
“Who is the producer?” she said.
“OJB,”
“Wao,” she said. “That’s cheap if the producer is OJB. That is probably what he collects for a single song.”
“But I don’t have money,”
“How much do you have with you?”
“Twenty thousand naira,” I said as my fingers ploughed through my Mohawk.
“That’s far away from what you’re looking for.”
“I know,” I said. “I need your help. How much do you have with you?”
“I don’t know the exact figure,” she said. “Probably around fifteen thousand.”
“You need to borrow me please,” I said. “So that I can record these songs. I’ll return it as soon as possible.”
“Alright,” she said, “where are you?”
“Home. Should I come to collect it now?”
“The money is not with me but we need to meet.”
“Are you at home?”
“Yes.”
“I’m coming,” I said before terminating the call.
Almost an hour later, I was in her room. She asked how I was hoping to raise the remaining eighty-five thousand naira. I had no idea but I was still thinking. What of my parents? I told her my parents were unaware of the music business. She told me there was no need to hurry, that I could go to the studio when I was ready. I told her the coming Saturday would be best for me since I had to resume school the next week.
To be continued

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ra… Ta… Ta… Slow Down There!

The Music Deal (Episode 1)

The Music Deal (Episode 2)